Last year, I devised a concept for an "American Dad" spinoff focusing on Hayley [link]
. I actually tinkered around with this concept quite a bit, to the point where I had a premise and a full main cast and everything.
The conceit of the show would be Hayley deciding she's betraying her creative and outspoken nature by tying herself down to a loser like Jeff, so she gets her marriage annulled and goes off to a four-year college to get her life in order. And when she leaves Langley Falls, Klaus tags along with her, since he's sick and tired of being disrespected by Stan and Roger and all them (we've seen Hayley and Klaus plots a couple of times on AD, and they work surprisingly well together). Jeff is distraught at being dumped yet again, and follows Hayley to her new college, desperate to win her back somehow.
And I also created a few new characters for them to interact with. From left to right:
- Carole Kennedy, head of the Women's Studies department. An extremely outspoken feminist who encourages her students to get out there and do something, even if it's kinda dangerous
- Timothy Butternoose, Hayley's boss at the on-campus coffee shop Whole Latte Love. He's a surly grouch and he's kind of sexist too.
- Kelly, Hayley's roommate. She's an outsider artist and expresses herself through every medium imaginable, and also happens to be a lesbian.
- Zack, Jeff's roommate. Has no prospects, no ambition, no plans for the future, but has racked up more hours on World of Warcraft than anybody in the tri-county area and can recite all the dialogue from The Dark Knight
- Blake Pritchard, Hayley's Life Drawing teacher. Came back shell-shocked from the Gulf War, and now considers freedom of expression to be a luxury.
Again, this is the sort of labor-intensive fanfiction project I really don't have that much time to devote to. But it's still fun to think about.